ERIC KRAUSE

In business since 1996
- Krause House Info-Research Solutions -

_____________________________________________________________________________________


Please Click On An Image To Enlarge It

Return

1961

Faith Mennonite Church
(Leamington, Ontario, Canada)

Faith Mennonite Church began services and formally organized in 1961. The first building was occupied in 1964. George Janzen is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through division from Leamington United Mennonite Church over the use of the German language in worship.

[Source: Epp, Marlene. "Faith Mennonite Church (Leamington, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 2010. Web. 24 September 2010. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/F364.html. ]


1961 - 1963

A SHORT HISTORY OF THE CONSTRUCTION OF THE CHURCH BUILDING

By Annie Krause (February 25, 1923 - June 2, 1998) -
(With updated notes c. 1974 in red)

---------------------------------

Some Building Drawings

 


1961 - 1964

HISTORICAL SKETCH
FAITH  MENNONITE CHURCH
Leamington, Ontario

Faith Mennonite Church was born because of the need for an English speaking Mennonite Church in this community. Regular worship services and Sunday school classes were begun on February 26, 1961, in the Margaret D. Bennie School.

On June 18, 1961, the formal founding of the congregation took place when fifty members joined the congregation by transfer of membership and three candidates by baptism making a total of fifty-three members.

At the first annual meeting, January 13, 1962, a constitution was accepted and the work of the church was divided into four areas, Missions and Service, Worship and Membership, Education and Youth, and Finance and Stewardship.

On June 10, 1962, the pastor, George Janzen, was ordained to the Christian ministry. Rev. Janzen assisted the group from its very beginning.

In 1962 the congregation was accepted into the fellowship of the General Conference Mennonite Church, as well as the Conference of Mennonites in Canada, and the Ontario United Mennonite Conference.

The church building was begun in 1963 and was built by members and friends on a voluntary labour basis. The cornerstone was laid on April 19, 1964, signifying the foundation of the church which is in Jesus Christ, and expressing the faith and devotion of those who have laboured here, have encouraged and contributed to the work, and have prayed that the Kingdom of God might be extended because of the witness of this church.

As this church more firmly establishes its ministry in this community along with the other churches, we trust that God will be glorified in it and that the deepest needs of persons will be met through it.

[Source: Faith Mennonite Church Booklet]


1961 - 1988

Faith Mennonite Church (Leamington, Ont.)

269 Sherk St., Leamington, ON, N8H 3K9. (519) 326-6391. Minister Glenn Brubacher served in 2000 as congregational leader. In 1965 there were 69 members; in 1975, 124; in 1985, 130; in 1995, 233; in 2000, 245. The congregation has been affiliated with the Conference of United Mennonite Churches of Ontario (1962), the Conference of Mennonites in Canada (1962), the General Conference Mennonite Church (1962) and the Mennonite Conference of Eastern Canada (1988). The language of worship is English.

The congregation began services and formally organized in 1961. The first building was occupied in 1964. George Janzen is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through division from Leamington United Mennonite over the use of the German language in worship.

[Source: Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). "Faith Mennonite Church (Leamington, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. < http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/f364.html > ]


1963 - 1964

Fifty years ago, in Leamington Ontario, Oak Street United Mennonite Church [originally Essex County United Mennonite Church - built on Oak Street East in 1933-34] was about to explode into controversy. Oak Street was founded in the 1920s by Mennonite refugees fleeing the violence and social upheaval of the newly birthed Soviet Union. Since its founding, the language of worship was their mother tongue, German. But by the 1950s, many members no longer spoke German fluently and could not participate fully in church life. Some wanted to introduce English into worship. Well, you would have thought the devil had walked in the door! The proposal was met with fierce resistance from first generation immigrants who declared that their faith and community depended on resisting assimilation. To allow English worship would mean the end of their Mennonite identity. But the dissenters continued their plea. They were concerned for their children, whose faith development and connection to the church community was being compromised. But the resistance held, and in 1958 a small group of people left Oak Street and began to worship in English in the gymnasium of a local school. They were ridiculed, some were ostracized from their families, their first minister lost his teaching position at the Mennonite high school, but they held on. Faith Mennonite Church was born, and in 1963 they put in place the cornerstone of their new building.

[Source: http://www.emersonuuchapel.org/sermons/01_07_07_why_do_we_worship_taves.html - by the Rev. Krista Taves January 7, 2007 ]

---------------------------------

Early in 1963 plans for a church building were discussed and prepared under the direction of William Krause, Chairman of the Finance and Stewardship Committee. The ground-breaking service was held on 14 July and construction was begun immediately. The Finance and Stewardship Committee, along with the Chairman of the Congregation, served as architect , contractor and foreman in the planning and building of the structure. All construction, except the masonry, was done by members of the congregation and a few friends on a voluntary basis. On 19 April 1964 the cornerstone was laid ...

[Source: Frances Selkirk Snell, Compilier, Leamington's Heritage, 1874-1974 (University of Toronto Press, 1974), p. 119]

---------------------------------

Source: Leamington Post?
Ground Breaking - July 14, 1963
Rev. Warkentine, Jake Dirksen, Rev. George Janzen, William H. Krause, Rev. J. C. Neufeld

"The Bill Krause family was with the Faith Mennonite Church at its beginning. Bill was the building head of the church building project and devoted one year of his own time at no cost to the church

For four years Bill suffered with leukemia which he died of January 15, 1980. The funeral was held at the Faith Mennonite Church on January 19, 1980.

Hiob 19, 23-27 and Mathew 22, 25-30 Peter Janzen, officiating minister.

Buried at Evergreen Memorial Cemetery. "

[Source: unknown]

Bill was born in Tiegenhagen, Russia on March 15, 1921. While yet an infant, his parents F. W. Krause and Maria (nee Kornelsen) travelled with him to Germany, the home of his father's people. At five years of age he was baptized at the Lutheran Church in Germany. He started school in Germany, but at the age of seven, at the urging of his uncle Jake Kornelsen, the family came to Canada, and lived for a while on the seventh Concession, Wheatley.

From there they went to Port Crewe and after two years in high school, at the age of 15 years, he decided it was time to help his parents earn a living. Since his Dad was working on a fishing boat [Crewe's Fishery], he joined him. At 17 years of age, he, his parents and younger brother, Rudy, moved to Point Pelee, where they bought their own fishery.

   ---------------------------------
                                                     

In 1942, he was married to Annie Mathies in the Oak Street United Mennonite Church. Three children were born to them:

  • Eric Richard - January 26, 1943

  • William Alexander - May 6, 1945

  • Kathleen Ann - March 8, 1956

He joined the Faith Mennonite Church when it began at the Margaret D. Bennie School, and was the contractor when the Church was built.

Although he had a limited formal education, his own interest in all things, combined with his talents, have resulted in the building of houses, boats, furniture, fish nets, etc. Bill was a Builder.

When he became ill four years ago and was told he had leukemia, he accepted it although he felt he still had a lot to do. He continued to fight to live as long as he could, taking one day at a time.

Peacefully he went to sleep on January 15, 1980, to wake eternally.

Sincerely,

The Bereaved Family.

[Source: MEMORIAM OF WILLIAM KRAUSE, January 19, 1980]


1964

 

           

April 16, 1964

---------------------------------

April 19, 1964

    

    

A Brief History of the Faith Mennonite Congregation

.... During the early month of 1963, plans for a church building were discussed and prepared under the direction of William Krause, chairman of the Finance and Stewardship Committee. This committee, together with the chairman of the congregation formed the building committee. The ground-breaking service was held July 14, and construction was begun immediately. The above mentioned building committee served as architect, contractor and foreman in the planning and building of the church building. All the construction, except the masonry, was done by members of the congregation and a few friends on a voluntary basis ...

THE MEMBERS OF THE CHURCH ON THE DAY OF THE LAYING OF THIS CORNERSTONE, APRIL 19, 1964. (this cornerstone is dated 1963, the year in which most of the construction took place) ...William H. Krause ... Annie (Mrs. William) Krause ...

---------------------------------

JULY 12, 1964 DEDICATION

[Source: Faith Mennonite Church Booklet]

  

The Windsor Star, July 13, 1964, p. 11


1966

           

WILL MARRY -- The engagement is announced of Lynda Jean Richards, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Richards, of RR 1, Leamington, to Eric Richard Krause, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Krause Jr., of RR 1, Leamington. The wedding will take place on Saturday, Dec. 3, at 3 p.m. at Faith Mennonite Church, Leamington. Mr. Krause is a graduate of the University of Windsor.

---------------------------------

The Faith Mennonite Church on Sherk Street, Leamington, was the setting Saturday for the wedding of Lynda Richards, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Richards, of RR Leamington, and Eric Krause, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Krause Jr., of RR 1, Leamington. Rev. George Janzen officiated for the ceremony. The bride's floor length gown of white peau de soie had an empire waist with a panel of applique down the front. It was accented by a matching coat, featuring a scoop neckline and long sleeves, which formed the chapel train.

Her bouffant veil was held in place by an orchid-like headpiece trimmed with seed pearls. She carried a cascade of white roses with feathered mums.

Shirley Richards, sister of the bride, was the maid of honor. Bridesmaids were Kathy Krause, sister of the groom; Mary Lynn Setterington, Lily Shuster and Lynn Wiper, friends of the bride.

Their floor-length gowns of royal blue velvet featured matching capes and they carried white carnations formed in a, sphere with royal blue velvet handles.

The best man was John Kornelson, cousin of the groom. Ushers were Bill Krause, brother of the groom, George Toews and Paul Krause, cousins of the groom, and Nick Toth.

The bride's mother wore a blue brocade dress with matching accessories. The groom's mother was also in blue with navy accessories.

A reception was held in the Tudor Room of Diana Restaurant after the ceremony.

For a wedding trip to the southern states, the bride chose a forest green walking suit with a corsage of baby orchids.

On their return, the couple will reside at RR 1, Leamington.



SOME IMPORTANT DETAILS
 

Faith Mennonite Church Leading Ministers

Minister
 
Term
 
George Janzen 1961-1966
Jake Rempel 1967-1970
Arthur Wiebe 1970-1971
Peter Janzen 1972-1980
Edwin Epp 1981-1996
Glenn Brubacher 1997-2004
Dave Tiessen (interim) 2004-2005
Ruth Boehm 2005-present

Faith Mennonite Church Membership

Year
 
Members
 
1965 69
1975 124
1985 130
1995 233
2000 245

[Source: Epp, Marlene. "Faith Mennonite Church (Leamington, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. September 2010. Web. 24 September 2010. http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/F364.html. ]

---------------------------------

Baptisms: 1961 - 1986

[Source: Faith Mennonite Church Booklet]

Return